This municipality, previously called Valle de Santiago, belonged to the menceyato of Adeje. Today there are still abundant vestiges of its pre-Hispanic past, as ancient settlements have been discovered, as well as sepulchral caves and various objects of the period when the aborigines populated the area.
In remote times a temple was built and dedicated to Santiago, and later on was built in to the new parochial church constructed on September 9th of 1679 and dedicated to San Fernando.
Santiago del Teide started to really develop when the first road reached it in 1930 as well as with the lighting up of the water galleries in 1950, together with the appearance of tourism in the sixties.
Places of Historical Interest
Church of Santa Ana. Tamaimo
It features an altarpiece from the XVII century. Also notable are the images of Santa Ana and La Paz, this last is a multicoloured wood sculpture made out of Sabina wood and donated by Blas Benítez de Lugo del Hoyo, from the parochial church of Santa Ana of Garachico.
Parochial Church of San Fernando Rey
From the last third of the XVII century, its cupolas in the form of orange halves are the work of reforms carried out in the XX century, together with those carried out in other parts of the temple. In its interior it preserves interesting pieces of art.
Las Eras de Arguayo. Park
A place where the wheat was threshed in olden times.
Volcano and lava from Chinyero
Patio House. The farmstead of the masters of Valle Santiago, Los Hoyos – Solórzano.
Lordly mansion from the XVII century, it is to be soon declared a historical artistic monument.
Here there are well preserved ancient typical canary press-houses (lagares) for wine making.